Sunday, July 4, 2010

Long Distance Relationship

What’s the old saying, “distance makes the heart grow fonder?” I typically laugh at things like this and never understand why people think that a certain relationship is better off when people are apart. I don’t even like that some of my very good friends live outside of town. It certainly doesn’t ruin the relationship we have, but it would without a doubt be better if I didn’t have to, heaven forbid, drive 10+ miles to hang out. I guess I’m just a sucker for the built-in-excuse (if you aren’t nodding your head thinking, “me too,” more power to you.)

In my friend Brent’s post about his family trip to Rocky Fork Lake each July 4th, he discusses how his family comes together very infrequently, yet it seems as though the never miss a beat with anything. I can say the same thing about my family trip to The Outer Banks of North Carolina. Twelve people that see each other 3-4 times a year max, come together for a week of sitting on the beach, having some beverages, playing family games, and enjoying the simple life for 7 straight days.

I have enjoyed this specific long-distance relationship now for well over 20 years. Every year the Zulauf’s join us, all the way from Virginia, for Christmas, and we travel down there to meet up with them for summer vacation. The times we are together are filled with laughter and constant discussion of anything and everything. It really is as if we never miss a beat. Each time we part ways, I always wish they never moved to Virginia in the mid-1980’s. Andy and Nick specifically would be two of my very best friends. We share the same interests and the same sense of humor, and can fill time with meaningless discussion like almost nobody else I know. I cannot think of many people that I could spend an entire week with and not get tired of their presence.

Would it be the same if we lived closer and were able to spend more time together? Maybe it is the distance that provides us this luxury. I don’t know. It sure would be nice to find out. But, for now, I’ll settle for 14 of my favorite days of the year, and if it is the distance that makes those 14 days that much better, I’ll take it.

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment