Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Letter to Lebron

Dear Lebron,

First of all, a sincere thanks! You’ve known all along what your options will be, and when the clock struck midnight on July 1st, you could have come out and told me where you will play next year. But, that wouldn’t have been the best move for my Scott Brand. And you could have announced right away where you were going as you sat in your house in Akron. But, that wouldn’t have been the best move for Gahanna, the city I grew up in, and the city I love. And you could have teamed up right away with other superstars and built a dynasty. But, that wouldn’t have been good for my ability to win championships or my legacy. Actually, what am I talking about, that’s just dumb, sorry.

Anyway, what you did was you waited. You drew it out almost as long as you could. You created the type of media hype that has never been seen in sports before, and it was GREAT! I know you are making this decision for me (thanks again by the way) and the best thing for me was to have 24/7 media coverage, and hype, and rumors, and all this sports-fan-crack that you have been giving out like it was going out of style. Following ESPN.com and facebook and twitter and sports radio and TV has given me something to do since I have these 3 months away from school. I dove into the speculation game as deep as anyone and it was a roller coaster thrill ride! And now, an hour-long special tomorrow night? SWEET!

Again, I just want to say thanks one more time. All these analysts, and fans, and peers, and enemies of you, want you to make your decision for something they think is best for them (or you?), but you chose to be unselfish and feed ME!!!

Now, what’s best for you personally? (oh, that’s the first time you’ve been asked that?)

Whoa, I’m sorry. See I thought since everyone else was telling me what’s best for your brand, or your city, or your legacy, those were what you were basing this on.

Well, uh, good luck. Since you’ve done so much for me, I hope you do make this decision for you, not for anyone or anything else. I'll certainly be happiest if you choose the Cavs. And if you go, I'll be bummed at first, but you know what, if you do end up playing somewhere else, I hope you choose it for you, not for your legacy, or your brand, or a city, or anyone else, but for whatever is truly best for you.

Good Luck,

Scott


Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment